I started making this Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake years ago! I am a cinnamon lover. If I can add cinnamon, I will. And it won’t be in a small quantity. This crumbly cake is perfect to serve for dessert, or a snack, or breakfast, I don’t judge!
I took this Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake to the next level with caramel drizzle. Yes, you heard that correctly. This coffee cake is not only full of cinnamon, but it has an added level of flavour that makes it even more amazing! It’s so easy to make too! My kids come running when they find out I’m making this cake. Actually, everyone in my family loves it! It’s usually a staple dessert at our family gatherings because people love it so much. What’s not to love about crumble?
You can make this cake in a square or round pan. It’s doesn’t matter. If you want to get fancy, put it on a cake stand! If cake is your thing, check out this Gluten Free Carrot Cake too!
How to make this Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- I’ve used almond and an all purpose flour mixture in this cake so that it has a nice crumbly texture. You can use just all purpose flour, but it will be a bit more dry.
- If you don’t need it to be gluten free, regular all purpose flour works great!
- If you like extra crumble like I do, make double the crumble. You won’t be sorry!
- I have tested this with different ingredients to make it vegan. I used coconut oil, and an egg substitute. It worked well, but definitely had a coconut taste to it. Use a vegan butter if you want that buttery goodness.
- Make sure you cook the caramel for 1-2 minutes so that all the sugar dissolves! No one likes a grainy caramel.
- To make this cake, start with the crumble! You can use a food processor to mix it for you, or just use a fork. Mix it all together until you have a perfect crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Melt the butter next and let it cool for a few minutes. If your butter is too hot, it will cook the other ingredients.
- Beat the butter and sugar together, add in the egg, vanilla, and milk and mix until well combined.
- Mix up your dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the wet ingredients. Don’t over mix this, just whisk until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Make sure to line your pan with parchment paper. It really help to get the cake out afterwards.
- Spread the batter out in the pan until even. Top with the crumble and bake!
Gluten Free Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake
- 1 cup GF all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup GF all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup GF oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°. To make the crumble, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or food processor and mix until it's nice and crumbly.
- In a large bowl beat the sugar and melted butter together. Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, and add slowly to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, and scoop the batter into it. The batter will be thick. Spread it out evenling in the pan. Top with the crumble mixture and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, make the caramel! Combine the butter, sugar and milk in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat stirring constantly. Once the mixture starts to boil, keep cooking for 1-2 minutes. The mixture will thicken. Turn off the heat and add in the vanilla.
- Once the cake has cooled for 10 minutes, remove from the pan and continue to let cool. You can either drizzle the caramel on now, or wait until serving!