These Crispy Cornflake Chicken Burgers with Garlic Aioli have been a huge hit in our house for over a year. I ended up with a free box of Cornflakes, so I needed to come up with something to do with them! That’s when I came up with this oven baked chicken burger recipe.
Can I make these chicken burgers gluten free?
Yes, you can definitely make these Crispy Cornflake Chicken Burgers with Garlic Aioli gluten free. You’ll need to replace regular corn flakes with the gluten free variety. Replace the all purpose flour in the recipe with gluten free all purpose flour, and also use a gluten free bun. I have made these gluten free and they still turn out amazing!
Ingredients needed for this chicken burger recipe?
This recipe requires a few ingredients but it’s not difficult.
Chicken – I like to use thighs for this recipe, but chicken breasts will work too. If you use the breast, butterfly it so it bakes properly.
Flour – This is needed in the breading of the chicken. Use all purpose flour or gluten free flour for this setup.
Egg – One egg is needed as part of the breading process.
Cornflakes – You can use either cornflake crumbs or you can crush your own cornflakes. I just use the bottom of a glass to crush up my cornflakes.
Garlic Powder – Used in the breading of the chicken burgers, it adds a lot of the flavour!
Smoked Paprika – Also adds a bit of a smoky flavour to the chicken breading. Use regular paprika or skip this is you like.
Salt – Also needed in the breading to help bring out the other flavours.
Oil – I mostly use avocado oil in a spray bottle. You can use another oil. It’s best to brush the pan with the oil and then brush the chicken with it as well if you don’t have a spray oil.
This sauce is super easy to make. Simply take 1/2 cup of your favourite mayonnaise and mix in two cloves of minced garlic, a pinch of salt, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. If you want a hit of spice, add in 1/4 tsp chipotle powder. Make this sauce before you begin the chicken burgers so the flavours have time to blend together.
How to Make this Crispy Cornflake Chicken Burger with Garlic Aioli?
Lets start with the garlic aioli. Mix together the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Place it in the fridge and let it rest until the burgers are ready to be assembled.
Preheat the oven to 425° and spray a baking sheet with oil.
Now we are going to create the breading station. You’ll need three bowls or deep plates. In the first bowl add the plain flour, in the second bowl, add the eggs and whisk it. And in the third bowl add the cornflakes, flour, paprika, garlic powder and salt.
To bread the chicken, take a piece and coat it in plain flour. Now coat it in the egg, and the finally coat it in the cornflake mixture. I like to press the chicken into the cornflake mixture to make sure it’s completely coated.
Lay the chicken on the baking sheet and repeat the steps until all the chicken is done.
Spray the chicken with a little bit of oil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping it halfway through.
When the chicken is done, it’s time to assemble the burgers. Take the bun and spread the mayonnaise on each side. Place the lettuce on the lower half, and then add on the chicken and red onions. This is where you can have some more fun with the burgers. Add on some pickles and jalapeños if you like! Fresh tomato makes the perfect topping too.
Crispy Cornflake Chicken Burgers with Garlic Aioli
- 4 chicken thighs, or 2 breast cut in half
- 1/2 cup flour divided
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 4 burger buns
- 8 slices tomato
- 8 slices red onion
- Start with preparing the garlic aioli. Combine the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and chipotle powder. Mix well and put in the fridge until the burgers are done.
- Preheat the oven to 425° and spray a baking sheet with oil.
- Get three bowl for the breading. In the first bowl put 1/4 cup flour. In the second bowl, whisk the egg. In the third bowl combine the cornflake crumbs, 1/4 cup flour, garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt.
- Take a piece of chicken and coat in the flour. Then the egg, and then the cornflake mixture. Make sure the chicken is well coated in the cornflake crumbs. repeat this until all the chicken is coated.
- Place the chicken on the oiled baking sheet and either spray the chicken with oil or brush it with oil.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes, flipping it halfway through.
- Take the burger buns and spread the mayo on each side. Layer the lettuce, then the chicken, tomatoes and finally the onion. Top with the other half of the bun and enjoy!