This Creamy Garlic Chicken and Asparagus is a real winner in how easy it is and how delicious it is. The combination of flavours and the addition of asparagus make this filling and nutritious.
I’m a fan of easy but flavourful meals. I also like meals that can easily be adapted based on dietary needs. This Creamy Chicken and Asparagus fits all of that! This can be eaten by itself, but it’s also delicious on rice or quinoa.
For another quick and easy one pan chicken dish, check out this Chicken and Orzo with White Wine!
What you will need to make this chicken and asparagus dish!
- Chicken – Either thighs or breasts work for this recipe. I used thighs.
- Oil – Avocado or olive oil works well! The oil is used to cook the chicken and the onion.
- Flour – Regular or gluten-free flour will work for this. This helps the sauce thicken, so don’t skip it!
- Garlic powder – This is used in the breading of the chicken.
- Salt – Sea salt is used here.
- Pepper – Make sure it’s Finley ground.
- Onion – I used yellow onion in the recipe.
- Garlic – I used 4 cloves in this dish.
- Asparagus – I kept mine whole, but it can be chopped up as well. Make sure to remove the woody stalks before cooking.
- Cream – I used cashew cream to keep this diary free. Regular heavy cream will work too!
- Chicken Stock – This is used to thin out the sauce and add flavour.
- Oregano – Fresh or dried will work here.
How to make this delicious creamy garlic chicken with asparagus!
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss the chicken in the flour mixture until it is well coated.
- Using a large heavy bottomed pan, heat a tablespoon of avocado oil on medium heat. Fry the chicken on each side until golden and cooked through. For thighs, this took about 4 minutes per side.
- Once the chicken is cooked though, remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add in another tablespoon of oil to the pan, and sauté the onion until its nice and soft. Then add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the cream, oregano, salt and pepper, stir until well combined.
- Add in the asparagus and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and continue to let the sauce simmer until its thickened and the chicken is warm.
Creamy Garlic Chicken and Asparagus
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 handful asparagus
- 1/2 cup cream or cashew cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 tsp oregano
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Toss the chicken in this until its completely coated.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium heat. Cook the chicken on each side until golden, and until the chicken is cooked through. This took 4-5 minutes per side for thighs. Once cooked, set the chicken aside.
- In the same pan, add in another tablespoon of oil. Cook the onion until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the cream, oregano, salt and pepper and stir. Add in the asparagus and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and let the sauce thicken and the chicken warm through. About 5 minutes. If the sauce is too thick, it can be thinned with chicken stock. Serve as is, or over rice or quinoa.