This White Wine Chicken and Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes is packed with flavour. It’s a quick 30 minute dinner and only uses one pan.
I love looking through cookbooks for inspiration. I don’t often make a recipe the exact same way, but food pictures serve as mega inspiration to create beautiful dishes that taste GOOD! This recipe is inspired by Half Baked Harvests recipe in her Super Simple cookbook. Planning ahead has never been a strong trait of mine, and as a result I always have to work with what I have in the pantry and fridge. Because of that, I often have fun creating new flavour combinations!
Looking for more recipes? Check out these!
- Olive Oil – I used extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken – Boneless thighs or breast can be used. If using large chicken breasts, cut in half.
- Salted Butter – Use olive oil to make this dish dairy free.
- Garlic – Use 4-6 cloves depending on your love of garlic.
- Orzo – The orzo should be dry, it will cook in the recipe.
- White Wine – A dry white wine like a Pinot Grigio is used here. Use more stock if you don’t have wine.
- Stock – Vegetable or chicken stock can be used.
- Sun-dried Tomatoes – Use marinated ones, and don’t rinse or drain them. The oil adds to the flavour!
- Lemon – I used a large lemon for this.
- Oregano – This recipe uses dried oregano, but fresh will work too!
- Baby Spinach – Any leafy green can be used here. Green peas would make a delicious addition as well.
How to Make White Wine Chicken and Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°. While the oven is preheating, prep your other ingredients. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, or large cast iron pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the chicken on each side for 4 minutes and then transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, add in the butter, orzo and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the garlic is nice and fragrant.
- Pour the white wine in and stir up any brown bits that are stuck to the pan. Add in the broth, lemon juice and zest, sun-dried tomatoes, and oregano. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Add in the spinach and stir into the orzo. Place the chicken on top and pour in any juices off of the plate.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.
White Wine Chicken and Orzo with Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 1.5 lbs chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup dry orzo
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes don't drain
- 1/2 lemon zest
- 1 juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 c packed baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron pan or dutch oven. Cook the chicken for 4 minutes each side until slightly browned. Then transfer it to a plate.
- Using the same pan, add the butter, garlic and orzo. Cook for 3 minutes. Add in the wine, and stir around to get any brown bits off of the pan.
- Add in the stock, sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Mix in the baby spinach. Add the chicken back in, including any juices off of the plate.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Make sure the chicken is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply