When March rolls around, there nothing better than baking Lemon Blueberry Loaf. Lemon brings on a taste of spring and longer days, and hopefully more sunshine.
This Lemon Blueberry Loaf is super easy to make, and is a crowd pleaser. The texture is soft, and the lemony glaze on top gives it a burst of extra flavour. If you prefer muffins, check out this recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Muffins. They are also incredibly delicious!
- Salted Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter, but I prefer salted.
- All Purpose Flour – This gives the loaf a nice and soft texture.
- Sugar – I used white sugar in this recipe.
- Eggs – You’ll need two large eggs for this lemon loaf.
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract here.
- Buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk in your fridge, you can substitute with adding 1/2 tbsp of lemon or vinegar to your 1/2 cup measuring cup, and then filling the rest with milk. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Lemon zest – 2 tbsp of lemon zest is needed for this recipe. You will need the juice for the glaze.
- Blueberry Preserve – Any jam will work here! Blueberry tastes delicious but use whatever you have on hand.
How to make Lemon Blueberry Loaf
This recipe comes together quickly! Make the glaze once the loaf it out of the oven. Let it cool before pouring the glaze over the loaf.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a loaf pan. You can use parchment paper as well.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until nice and fluffy and well combined.
- Add in each egg, and mix well. Pour in the buttermilk, vanilla and lemon zest, mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and spread out evenly. Take the fruit preserve and spread it out on top of the batter. Pour the rest of the batter on top and smooth it out evenly. Go slowly as to not mix too much of the preserve into the batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, mix 1 cup of icing sugar with the juice of one large lemon. Whisk it well, and when the lemon blueberry loaf is cool, pour the glaze on top!
Lemon Blueberry Loaf
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk see notes
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup blueberry preserve
- 1 cup icing sugar for the glaze
- juice of one lemon for the glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a loaf pan, or use parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until nice and fluffy. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix well. Pour in the buttermilk, lemon zest and vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together. Add this to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan and spread out evenly. Take the fruit preserve and spread it evenly on top of the lemon batter. Pour the rest of the lemon batter on top and spread evenly. Do this carefull to not over mix the preserve into the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the lemon blueberry loaf bakes, make the glaze. Whisk together the icing sugar and the lemon juice and until nice and smooth.
- After the loaf is done, let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let it cool before glazing!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply