I set out to make lemon poppy seed muffins this past weekend. It took a couple of batches before I perfected the texture and the taste of these muffins. The glaze takes these muffins from amazing to unbelievable! Seriously, it is SO good and fresh tasting.
These lemon poppy seed muffins are the perfect quick breakfast, snack on the go, or dessert if you like! I like having one with a hot cup of tea first thing in the morning while I’m puppy watching. (Check out my instagram for daily puppy watching that happens around my house).
The flavour in these muffins is absolutely perfect! Fresh lemon is key here. It’s takes them to a whole new level! If you love muffins, try my Banana Nut Breakfast Muffins, Cinnamon Ginger Carrot Muffins, or these Rhubarb Crumble Muffins.
Can I make these zesty lemon poppy seed muffins gluten free?
Yes, you can make these muffins gluten free. Just use an all purpose gluten free flour such as Bobs Red Mill.
Can I make these healthier lemon poppy seed muffins dairy free?
Yes, you definitely can. Simply replace the yogurt with a plant based option, and also use a plant milk.
Ingredients used for these easy muffins!
Olive oil – Used to add moisture to the muffins.
Sugar – Needed to sweeten the muffin. I have only used a 1/2 cup in this recipe.
Eggs – Use two large eggs in this recipe.
Yogurt – Use a plain yogurt here, or a plant based yogurt. Vanilla will work as well, but make sure it doesn’t have sugar in it, otherwise the muffins may be really sweet.
Milk – I used oat milk in these and it worked great! Use whatever milk you have on hand. Or use another 1/4 cup of yogurt.
Baking powder and baking soda are used to leaven the muffins. It’s best if both of these are less than six months old.
Lemon – Used for it’s zest as well as the juice! That’s what gives these lemon muffins that fresh taste!
Poppy Seeds – Another thing you’ll want to make sure is fresh, as they can go rancid. You’ll need two tablespoons of these.
Icing Sugar – Used to make the glaze after the muffins are cooled. Skip this if you don’t want to glaze your muffins.
How to make these zesty lemon poppy seed muffins!
Preheat the oven to 400° and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
In large bowl, mix together the olive oil and the sugar. Add in the eggs and mix well. Now add in the lemon juice, zest and yogurt, milk and whisk until all of the wet ingredients are combined well.
Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds. Mix the batter until everything is just combined.
Scoop out the batter evenly into the muffin tins. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air tight container.
To make the glaze, simply whisk together one cup of icing sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice! Wait until the muffins have cooled before glazing them.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a muffin tin with oil or paper cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugar and mix until the sugar starts to break down. Add in the eggs, and mix well. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt and milk, and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredienst and mix until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop out evenly into a 12 cup muffin tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk the lemon juice and icing sugar together until smooth. If the glaze seems too runny, you can add a bit more icing sugar. Drizzle on top of the muffins.