I set out to make lemon poppy seed muffins this past weekend. It took a couple of batches before I perfected the texture and the taste of these muffins. The glaze takes these muffins from amazing to unbelievable! Seriously, it is SO good and fresh tasting.
These lemon poppy seed muffins are the perfect quick breakfast, snack on the go, or dessert if you like! I like having one with a hot cup of tea first thing in the morning while I’m puppy watching. (Check out my instagram for daily puppy watching that happens around my house).
The flavour in these muffins is absolutely perfect! Fresh lemon is key here. It’s takes them to a whole new level! If you love muffins, try my Banana Nut Breakfast Muffins!
How I make my Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins!
- First, make sure to use a fresh lemon. You’ll need the juice from the whole lemon, and the zest. It’s easier to zest it, and then juice it!
- I used olive oil in these muffins because I love the added flavour. Any vegetable oil should work though.
- Any plain yogurt will work. I used Siggis, but a vegan yogurt will work as well.
- I used oat milk in my muffins as that’s what I had in the house. Any milk will work.
- First you’re going to line your muffins tin with paper cups, or spray with oil.
- Mix together the olive oil with the sugar until the sugar starts to break down. Usually a couple of minutes. Then add in the remaining wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Scoop evenly into a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the glaze by mixing 1 cup of icing sugar with 2-3 tbsp of lemon juice.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a muffin tin with oil or paper cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil and sugar and mix until the sugar starts to break down. Add in the eggs, and mix well. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt and milk, and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredienst and mix until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Scoop out evenly into a 12 cup muffin tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk the lemon juice and icing sugar together until smooth. If the glaze seems too runny, you can add a bit more icing sugar. Drizzle on top of the muffins.