This Shallot and Sage Butternut Squash Soup is so easy to make. It takes about 30 minutes, and will be ready before you know it.
Making soup has always been a comfort thing around here. It warms you up so fast, and is nourishing as well. The options are endless when it comes to soup. Squash soup is so fast, and it’s easy to customize with spices if you don’t like cinnamon. I’m a cinnamon lover, so it’s added to pretty much any recipe I can. Nutmeg is also delicious!
This soup moves really fast, so it’s best to prep all of the veggies before you start cooking. I like to cook my soups in a dutch oven. I love the even cooking and they keep the soup warm after it’s done. During the weekday we have kids sports. If timing doesn’t work out well for dinner, I’ll often make a soup and then leave it on the stove for when my husband gets home. It’s always hot still! Check out my other soup recipes, and let me know if you try them!
How to Make Shallot and Sage Butternut Squash Soup
To prep the butternut squash, you need to peel it, and seed it. I prefer to use a knife because the flesh of the squash is quite thick. Once the butternut squash is peeled, cut it in half and take a spoon to get all of the seeds out. Dice the squash into 1′ cubes.
Drizzle olive oil into your heavy bottomed pot. Sauté the shallots until they start to soften. Add in the diced carrot and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the butternut squash, cinnamon, and the sage to the pot and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
Let the soup simmer for 15-20 minutes. The squash should break apart with a fork. After the soup has cooled for a few minutes, transfer to a blender or use an emersion blended. Blend the soup until creamy. Pour the soup back in the pot and stir in the coconut milk and a dash of pepper.
Toast up some bread and enjoy your hard work!
Shallot and Sage Butternut Squash Soup
- Large Pot
- Cutting Board
- 1 med Butternut Squash chopped
- 2 med Carrots chopped
- 1 Shallot diced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Fresh chopped Sage
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until just soft. Add in the doced carrot and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Add the squash, cinnamon and sage. Cook for a minute, then add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the squash is fork tender, turn the stove off and let the soup cool for a few minutes.
- Use an emersion blender or transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the soup back into the pot, and stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.