These Spicy Baked French Fries are the perfect salty side dish to pretty much anything. We make French fries regularly at my house. These delicious French fries are baked and not fried, so they’re a little healthier than your typical French fry.
These delicious Spicy Baked French Fries can be served on their own as an appetizer or with a delicious burger. If you’re like my daughter, you can even stick the french fries IN your burger! The spices on these fries help to create a crispy outside and it gives these fries a pop of flavour and a bit of spice. I’ve paired these french fries with a chipotle lime aioli and the pair could not go better together. If you are a French fry fan, try these delicious eggplant fries!
Here is what you will need to make these Spicy Cajun French Fries!
- Russet Potatoes – This is my favourite potato to use for fries. Leave the skin on because it adds to the crispness and the nutrients!
- Oil – I used olive oil, but avocado oil works well too.
- Smoked Paprika – This adds to the smokey flavour of the fries. If you don’t have smoke paprika, regular paprika will work too.
- Cayenne – This is where the spice comes from! I’ve used only 1/8 of a teaspoon here. It gives a decent amount of spice.
- Garlic Powder – This recipe has 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. It helps give the fries a crispy outside!
- Salt – I used 1 teaspoon on these. Use less if you like you’re fries less salty.
- Mayonnaise – This is used for the aioli! Use vegan mayonnaise to make this dish vegan.
- Chipotle Powder – This gives the spice to the aioli.
- Lime – a teaspoon of lime juice is added to the aioli.
How to make these Spicy Baked French Fries
- The first step is to wash the potatoes really well. Because we don’t peel the potatoes, make sure to get all the dirt off of them.
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line two baking pans with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Make the aioli now because the chipotle pepper takes about 20 minutes to dissolve into the mayonnaise.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, chipotle powder and lime juice. Pop it into the fridge until the fries are done.
- Slice the potatoes into similar sized fries.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes in the oil until they are evenly coated.
- In a little bowl mix together the salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Then add this to the potatoes and toss well.
- Spread out the potatoes on the baking pan evenly. If they are crowded they won’t get crispy, they’ll steam and be soft.
- Sprinkle with a bit more salt if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, take them out and flip them. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- Let the fries cool for a few minutes before eating. Enjoy!
Spicy Baked French Fries
- 4 medium russet potato skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
Chipotle Lime Aoili
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Make the aoili now, that way the flavours blend by the time the fries are done. Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle powder and lime juice in a bowl. Mix well, and then cover and put it in the fridge.
- Slice the potatoes into even sized french fries. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes in the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices and salt together. Pour this over the potatoes and toss them until well coated.
- Spread the fries out evenly on the baking sheets. Make sure to not crowd the fries. If they are crowded, they'll steam.
- Bake the fries for 15-20 minutes, take them out, flip them, and put them back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the fries are done, sprinkle with a bit more salt if desired. Enjoy with the aoili!
Leave a Reply