These Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema are next level GOOD! The chicken is SO flavourful, it really is the showstopper here. And, this recipe doesn’t take long to make at all! This dinner will be on the table in under 30 minutes.
Looking for another dinner idea? Check out this Creamy Garlic Chicken and Asparagus, or this Chicken and Orzo with White Wine!
These Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema will become a new favourite. They are a little bit spicy, salty, and garlicky. It’s seriously the best combination of flavours ever. The Avocado Crema brings down the heat just a touch and adds a fantastic pop of flavour. I’ve paired these two ingredients with roasted peppers, shredded ice berg lettuce and a sprinkling of cheddar cheese. The possibilities are truly endless when it comes to what you can add to tacos.
Can I make these Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema gluten free?
Yes!!! These tacos are completely gluten free. Make sure to use corn tortillas that do not have wheat in them. The other ingredients should also be gluten free, but it’s always a good idea to double check things like hot sauce!
Can I make these buffalo tacos vegan?
Yes!!! These tacos work well with cubed tofu. Make sure to press any extra water out of the tofu before tossing it in the garlic powder. The Avocado Crema can be made with coconut yogurt or vegan mayo! And make sure to use a vegan cheese!
Ingredients needed for these Buffalo Chicken Tacos!
Chicken – You can use either breasts or chicken thighs here. You’ll want to slice them into uniform slices or cubes. This allows the chicken to cook at the same rate.
Garlic Powder – This is the coating on the chicken before cooking it. It adds a delicious garlic flavour and it also adds as a sponge for the hot sauce!
Hot Sauce – Use whatever hot sauce you like the best. I used Franks red hot sauce for this recipe and it was delicious!
Butter – This is used as part of the buffalo sauce and adds a delicious taste. If making vegan, use a vegan butter.
Avocado – Two avocados are used in the sauce.
Yogurt – This is the base of the sauce. Use a greek yogurt so that the sauce remains nice and thick. If using a regular yogurt, the sauce will be more runny.
Cilantro – Adds such tasty flavour to the sauce. If you’re someone who doesn’t like cilantro, you can leave it out and the sauce will still be tasty.
Garlic– Adds flavour and spice to the sauce!
Lime – Lime juice is used in the avocado cream sauce for both flavour and to keep it from turning brown!
For the taco fillings, use whatever you have! In these tacos I used shredded ice berg lettuce, cheddar cheese and roasted pepper. Fresh pepper and tomato would be delicious, and any sort of green. That’s the great part about tacos… You can use whatever you have in the fridge!
How to make the Avocado Crema?
This sauce is super easy to whip up! Add the avocado, yogurt, lime juice, garlic cloves, cilantro and salt to a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides like I did because my blended is quite large. Make this sauce first so the flavours have time to come together before the chicken is cooked.
How to make the Buffalo Chicken?
Start with slicing the chicken into small strips or chunks. Toss the chicken with the garlic powder and salt. Try to coat all of the chicken as this is what really holds on to the sauce after it’s cooked.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add about two tablespoons of oil to the pan. Sear the chicken until its cooked all the way through. You will want to flip the chicken over half way through. Once the chicken is cooked, add in a tablespoon of butter and coat the chicken. Now pour in two tablespoons of your favourite hot sauce and cook for about a minute. The sauce should be bubbling and coating the chicken. That’s it! the chicle is ready to be served.
How to assemble the tacos?
This is where you can really have some fun! If using soft corn tortillas, it’s best to warm them up before stuffing them. This allows them to bend and not crack. To fill the tacos, I like to put in the cheese, then meat, lots of avocado Crema, peppers and top with lettuce! The sauce with the chicken is really the best part! Don’t forget to top off with more cilantro!
Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema
- 2 chicken breasts cut into even sized pieces
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 large avocados
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- juice of 1.5 limes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 soft corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded ice berg lettuce
- 1 cup diced peppers
- Start with making the avocado crema. Put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. If you don't have a blender, mice the garlic and finely chop the cilantro. Mash the avocado and mix it all really well in a bowl. Let it rest while the rest of the meal is prepped.
- Take the chicken, and toss it in the garlic powder and salt. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle in the oil and let it heat up. Toss in the chicken and cook until it's cooked through, flipping halfway.
- Once the chicken is done, add in the butter and coat the chicken, now pour in the hot sauce and toss the chicken in it until everything is coated well. While doing this, the hot sauce will reduce slightly and stick to the chicken well.
- Now assemble the tacos! Heat the soft corn tacos in a pan until they are warm and soften up, now they're ready to stuff! Add the cheddar cheese to the taco shell, then add the chicken, avocado crema, peppers and then top with lettuce and cilantro! Squeeze a lttle extra lime on top if you like!
- use any taco shells or wraps available.
- For this recipe, I used Franks Red Hot Sauce.
Leave a Reply