If you have never baked with olive oil, you must try this Olive Oil Citrus Loaf Cake. It’s an easy loaf cake, and it’s packed with flavour. The olive oil and citrus work together to bring a deliciously soft cake for you to enjoy!
Need another cake idea? Check out this Lemon Blueberry Loaf or this Banana Cardamom Bread!
Why you need to try this Olive Oil Citrus Loaf!
This loaf cake isn’t difficult to make, and it packs a punch of flavour. It has both orange and lemon zest in it, and this makes for the perfect compliment to the olive oil. It’s such a delicate flavour, that all you need on top is a slight dusting of powdered sugar. This is absolutely the perfect cake to bring to a friends home for a cup of tea!
Can I make this gluten free?
This cake can be made gluten free. I highly recommend using Bob’s Red Mill One to One Gluten Free Flour. It’s one of the best ones I have found so far for substituting in baking. As always, make sure your other ingredients are also gluten free.
Can I make this vegan?
I have not tested a vegan version of this recipe.
Ingredients needed for this Citrus Loaf
- Olive Oil – This adds a unique flavour and gives the cake it’s moisture.
- Flour – Use regular all purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour here.
- Sugar – White sugar is used in the recipe. If using a darker sugar the cake will be a different colour.
- Yogurt – Use plain yogurt here. Vanilla can work as well.
- Eggs – This recipe calls for 4 large eggs. They add texture and height to this loaf cake.
- Baking Powder – used to add height to this loaf cake. Make sure your baking powder is fresh. It shouldn’t be older than six months.
- Salt – Sea salt is best in this recipe.
- Vanilla – Used for flavour.
- Lemon Zest – Be sure to wash your lemon first. Zest them with a zester or the smallest blade on a cheese grater.
- Orange Zest – You need 1 tablespoon or orange zest here.
How to make this Olive Oil Citrus Loaf?
This citrus cake takes a little bit of prep, but moves quickly once you start mixing. Preheat the oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and the sugar. Now add in the yogurt and stir until well combined. Add in the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
Zest the lemon and orange if you haven’t yet and add the zest to the batter. Mix it into the wet ingredients. Now add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the cake batter until just combined.
Pour the cake batter into the loaf pan and spread it out evenly. Place it in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the Citrus Olive Oil Loaf cool for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. To finish it off add a dusting of powdered sugar to the top if you like!
Citrus Olive Oil Loaf
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly oil it.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and sugar. Add in the yogurt and then the eggs and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Now add in the lemon and orange zest. Add all of the dry ingredients to the batter. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the cake batter in to the loaf pan and spread is out evenly. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool for 10 minutes and then remove it from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust lightly with icing sugar!
- To make this loaf gluten free, use an all purpose gluten free flour.
Leave a Reply