This Simple Beef Stew Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots is like a hug in a bowl. This beef stew recipe is a staple recipe that everyone can cook. The addition of root veggies like potatoes and carrots brings a whole new level of comfort and a delicious meal that will keep you full for hours.
I’m not sure if this is an old fashioned beef stew, but it sure is delicious. The beef is tender and falls apart, and the vegetables are cooked to perfection.
If you love comfort food, check out this Easy Curried Lentil Soup!
Can I make this easy beef stew recipe gluten free?
Yes, this beef stew recipe can easily be made gluten free! The only gluten in this, is the flour used to thicken the stew. It’s easy to replace this flour with a gluten free flour blend like Bobs Red Mill.
What kind of pot should I use for this beef stew?
I used a dutch oven for this Simple Beef Stew Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots, but you can use any pot you like. Since this is a stove top recipe, the beef stew can be made in a cast iron or steel pot.
How do I get my beef stew nice and thick?
A combination of simmering and flour create a beautiful thick broth in this beef stew recipe.
Ingredients needed for this Beef Stew with Red Wine!
- Stewing beef -I used one pound of grass-fed stewing beef.
- Salt and Pepper – These are using for seasoning the beef before cooking as well at seasoning the stew during the cooking process.
- Butter – Used for cooking the onions. You can also use olive oil or avocado oil if needed!
- Onion – 1.5 cups of diced onion is used in this stew. I used a yellow onion in this beef stew recipe.
- Garlic – I am a garlic lover and used five cloves. They need to be minced for this recipe!
- Flour – This is used to thicken the stew and can be a gluten free or regular wheat flour!
- Red Wine – This adds a delicious flavour to this simple beef stew recipe. If you don’t have any or don’t want to cook with alcohol, replace the red wine with more beef stock.
- Beef Stock – Use the best quality stock you can get. This is a flavour powerhouse for this easy beef stew recipe!
- Bay Leaf – I love the addition of this flavour in the beef stew. Two are needed, and remember to remove them before eating!
- Rosemary – This lovely herb is used to flavour the stew, and you can use fresh or dried here!
- Thyme – Also another lovely flavour for this stew. Fresh or dried is fine. I used ground thyme in this stew recipe.
- Carrots – Three large carrots are used in this recipe. I don’t bother peeling them, just wash them and chop into even sized pieces! About 1″ thick.
- Potatoes – Yellow or russet potatoes can be used in this stew recipe, and no need to peel them. Just scrub them well and chop them into 1″ cubes for the stew!
How to make this Best Ever Beef Stew Recipe?
Start this recipe by chopping all the vegetables, and taking the stew beef out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. The beef will be more tender if it’s close to room temperature before cooking. Salt and pepper the beef while it comes to room temperature.
After all of the vegetables are chopped, take a medium sized pot and heat the oil. In small batches, brown the beef on two sides. Transfer it to a plate and continue to cook all the beef. The brown bits are packed with flavour, so you definitely want all that flavour!
Once the beef is browned, add the butter to the pot. Scrape up any brown bits, and then add in the onion. Cook the onion until it has softened, about 5 minutes
Add the beef back in to the pot, and add the garlic and herbs. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and then add in the flour. Coat all of the meat in flour and cook for a minute.
Pour in the red wine first and then the beef stock, and keep stirring so there isn’t any clumping. Once the stew has thickened a little bit, add the bay leafs and bring the stew to a low simmer and cover it and cook for 2 hours. Make sure to come back and stir it every 30 minutes. If the stew is looking too thick, add in more stock.
After the stew has been cooking for 2 hours, now add in the carrots and potatoes. Stir them in, then cover and let cook for an addition 45-60 minutes.
Take out the bay leafs, serve and enjoy the stew!
Simple Beef Stew Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots
- 1 lbs stewing beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.5 cups onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 large carrots chopped in 1" pieces
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- Take the beef out of the fridge, and sprinkle the salt and pepper on it. Then prep all of your vegetables and measure out the flour and spices.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Brown the beef on two sides and then set it aside on a plate. Brown the beef in small batches so it doesn't steam.
- Once all the beef is done, add the onions and butter to the pot. Cook the onions for five minutes. Add the beef back in and add in the garlic and spices. Cook for an additional minute.
- Pour in the flour and coat all the beef and onions in it, now pour in the red wine and the beef stock. Stir it all together until it slowly thickens. Add in the bay leaves and turn it to a low simmer. Cover the pot with the lid and let it cook for two hours. Stir it every 20-30 minutes to makes sure it isn't stuck to the bottom. If needed, add in a bit more beef stock.
- After two hours, add in the potatoes and carrots. Stir well, and cover and let the stew cook for an additional 45-60 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are fully cooked, serve and enjoy!