This is The Best Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe, and it is one of the easiest soup recipes there is. This spin on old fashioned cream of broccoli soup is a bit lighter and it’s done in about 30 minutes. Soup season is upon us, and that means we need a great selection of soup recipes to keep us going during these cold months. A soup needs to be nourishing, tasty, and simple to make! Sometimes you need a meal on the table quick, and this simple broccoli soup recipe is about as easy as it gets! This is the best healthy cream of broccoli soup recipe for an easy quick meal!
Can I make this Broccoli Soup Vegan?
YES! this homemade cream of broccoli soup can easily be made vegan. Simply swap the heavy cream for cashew cream or a plant milk of you’re choice. Use olive oil instead of butter too! It’s a quick and easy switch!
Is this Broccoli Soup Recipe gluten free?
This healthy cream of broccoli soup doesn’t contain any gluten. It is important to double check the vegetable stock or chicken stock and make sure there is no added gluten.
Can I freeze this homemade broccoli soup?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this soup! Just make sure that it’s in an air tight container. When reheating, make sure to slowly heat it at a low temperature and use a whisk to combine it all again.
Ingredients needed for this lighter cream of broccoli soup!
- Broccoli – You need 4 cups of broccoli florets here.
- Butter – Salted butter or olive oil for cooking the onion in.
- Onion – 1/5 cups of diced yellow onion is in this soup recipe.
- Carrots – You need 1.5 cups of diced carrots, about 3 large carrots.
- Rosemary – Dried rosemary works in this recipe.
- Turmeric – A small amount of turmeric is used here, you can skip it if you want.
- Pepper – A 1/4 tsp of ground pepper is needed here.
- Garlic – You can use either garlic or garlic powder for this soup.
- Stock – Use chicken or vegetable stock for this recipe. Three cups are needed here.
- Heavy Cream – A small 1/4 cup is needed to add a bit of creaminess to this broccoli soup recipe, however, if you’re making this soup dairy free, simply leave it out, or use cashew cream.
- Salt – I used pink salt in this recipe.
How to make this homemade cream of broccoli soup recipe?
Always start with chopping and prepping all of the ingredients first because this soup recipe moves quickly.
In a large pot, melt the butter and cook the onions for about 2 minutes. Add in the broccoli and carrots and continue cooking for 8 minutes, and then add in the garlic and spices and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable or chicken stock and scrape up any bits that may be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring to a low boil, and cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the broccoli and carrots are fork tender.
Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth, and then pour the soup back in the pot, and mix in the heavy cream.
You can serve this soup right away! It goes perfectly with a grilled cheese sandwich like this Avocado and Boursin Grilled Cheese.
The Best Healthy Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 4 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1.5 cups diced yellow onion
- 1.5 cups diced carrots
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat and cook the onion for two minutes. Add in the broccoli and carrots and continue cooking for 8 minutes .
- Add in the spices, salt, pepper and the garlic cloves (powder). Continue cooking for two minutes. Pour in the chicken stock (vegetable stock) and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer, cover and let the soup cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, turn off the heat. Let the soup cool for a few minutes and then blend until smooth. Pour it back in the pot, and stir in the cream. Enjoy!