This Easy Curried Lentil Soup is one of the most delicious soups there is. This lentil soup recipe takes just 30 minutes to make and it’s packed full of protein and healthy fats. Plus, it tastes amazing with a bit of toasted bread to dip in it.
Is this curried lentil soup gluten free?
This soup is easily gluten free. All of the ingredients are naturally gluten free, however, make sure the lentils and vegetable stock you use are both free of gluten. Sometimes lentils are processed with wheat in the factory, and that puts them at risk for cross contamination.
And if you’re looking for some delicious gluten free dinner rolls, check out this recipe from The Gluten Free Austrian! Gluten Free Dinner Rolls.
Is this Easy Curried Lentil Soup vegan?
Yes, this easy soup recipe is naturally a vegan recipe. It’s packed full of amazing flavours and loaded with lots of proteins, fibre, and complex carbohydrates.
Ingredients needed for this healthy soup recipe!
- Olive oil – Is used to cook the onions in. Use avocado or whatever oil you prefer.
- Onion – One cup of diced yellow onion is in this soup.
- Carrots – 2 cups of diced carrots are in this soup. Another root veggie would work well too!
- Garlic – Four cloves are added to this soup. You can definitely use more or less depending on how much you love it!
- Red Lentils – 1.5 cups of dry red lentils are used here. Make sure you rinse the lentils before adding them to the soup.
- Turmeric Powder – A small amount is used in the soup. If you don’t have it, you can add in more curry powder.
- Curry Powder – I used a mild curry powder in this soup.
- Salt – adjust to your taste. I used 1 teaspoon of salt!
- Vegetable Stock – Five cups of vegetable stock is needed here.
- Coconut Milk – Use the full fat canned coconut milk here. You can use the thinner milk but it won’t taste quite the same.
How to make this 30 minute soup recipe?
I find it best to always prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking the soup. Soup moves pretty quickly, so having everything prepared makes it come together seamlessly.
In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Once hot, add in the onion and cook until it’s soft. Add in the diced carrots and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Now add in the minced garlic, and spices. Cook for an additional minute. It should smell very fragrant!
Pour in the vegetable stock and scrape up any brown bits that were stuck to the bottom. Add in the lentils and bring the soup to a boil. Add the salt here too. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
Once the soup is cooked, turn off the heat and stir in the coconut milk.
Now it’s time to enjoy the soup! Pair it with some fresh bread for an amazing meal.
This soup gets better by the day as well! Make a batch on Sunday and then you’ll have lunches for the week!
Easy Curried Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups dry red lentils
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until softened. Now add in the carrots and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in the garlic and spices and cook for an additional minute. Pour in the vegetable stock and scrape up any bits stuck the the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the lentils and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on medium low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the coconut milk. Enjoy the soup right away!