These simple baking powder biscuits with herbs are the best savoury biscuits to make. They are super easy to make, and pair well with pretty much anything and everything. They go well with soups, stews, salads, you can even top a stew with them and bake them right on top!
Once you’ve started making your own biscuits and realize just how easy they are to make, you’ll never want to turn back. These biscuits take 20 minutes from start to finish to make, and are best served nice and warm.
These baking powder biscuits go perfectly with this Simple Beef Stew Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots!
Can I make these Baking Powder Biscuits vegan?
I have not tested this simple baking powder biscuits recipe with herbs using vegan butter. You can try using both plant milk and vegan butter. I have used plant milk with regular dairy butter and they still worked great!
Can these simple baking powder biscuits be made gluten free?
I have not tested these with a gluten free flour blend. Try these Gluten Free Flaky Biscuits for a gluten free alternative.
Ingredients needed for these baking powder biscuits?
- Butter – Use regular or salted butter here. It needs to be cold, right out of the fridge.
- Flour – All purpose flour is use for these biscuits.
- Baking Powder – A tablespoon is used in this recipe.
- Salt – I used pink salt in this recipe.
- Milk – Dairy or plant milk both work in this biscuits recipe.
- Garlic Powder – Gives these biscuits a lovely hint of garlic. Leave out if you don’t like garlic.
- Fresh Herbs – two tablespoons of finely chopped fresh herbs are used here. I used sage. If you use dried herbs, use hand the quantity.
How to make flaky biscuits?
These baking powder biscuits are quick to make!
Preheat the oven to 425° and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, salt and herbs.
Now cut in the butter until the mixture resembles large crumbs. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
Add in the milk and mix the batter together. Knead a couple of times until all of the ingredients are combined. Don’t over mix because we want the butter to still be cold.
Lightly flour the counter, and roll out the dough, or just use your hands. Again, we aren’t going for perfect here. The dough should be about a half inch thick.
Use a biscuits cutter to cut out the biscuits, however if you want square biscuits, just cut the dough into 9 even squares.
Place the biscuits on the baking tray with about 1-2″ between them and then lightly brush with milk to help them brown.
Optional – Sprinkle a little bit of salt on top!
Baking in the oven for 12-15 minutes, the tops should be golden brown.
Remove from the oven and enjoy immediately.
Simple Baking Powder Biscuits Recipe with Herbs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp minced fresh herbs
- 1 tbsp milk to brush on top of the biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 425 ° and line a baking tray with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and fresh herbs.
- Cut in the butter under the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Now pour in the milk and mix until the batter is just combined, and then knead until it's all stuck together.
- lightly flour a hard surface and press out the dough. You can roll it as well. Cut out 9 evenly sized biscuits and place them 1" apart on the baking sheet.
- Brush the biscuits with milk, and sprinkle with salt if desired. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden on top.