This Simple and Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is a regular recipe around here. This chicken soup is the perfect soup recipe to use up any leftover chicken you may have. We roast The Best Herb and Garlic Roasted Chicken often, so we always have leftovers! This easy chicken soup is the perfect way to use them up! If you want to make this soup even better, make a batch of these Simple Baking Powder Biscuits with Herbs. You won’t regret it!
Can this chicken noodle soup be made gluten free?
This simple and healthy chicken noodle soup recipe is easily made gluten free. Make sure your chicken stock is gluten free, and use a gluten free pasta in the recipe.
Do I need leftover chicken to make this soup?
No, you don’t need to have already cooked chicken for this soup recipe. If the chicken is raw, simply cut it into small pieces. Start the soup by cooking the chicken in the pot first. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a plate, and then add in the onions and begin making the soup as the recipe says.
What can I use instead of Pasta?
If you don’t want to use pasta, rice or quinoa works very well in this soup recipe. It’s best to use already cooked rice or quinoa as they both soak up a lot of water.
Ingredients needed for this chicken noodle soup recipe!
- Butter or Olive Oil – Used to cook the onion in.
- Carrots – 1.5 cups of diced carrots are used in this soup.
- Celery – Brings a lovely flavour, you’ll need one cup of diced celery.
- Garlic – I used 4 cloves in this soup. Use garlic power if you don’t have fresh garlic.
- Spices – I used oregano, thyme, turmeric, salt and pepper in this soup. You can switch it up with some sage and rosemary as well!
- Chicken – If you have already cooked chicken, follow the recipe accordingly. If the chicken is raw, see the note above.
- Chicken Stock – A good quality stock is used here. Vegetable stock can work as well if you don’t have chicken.
- Pasta – I used bow tie pasta for my soup, as it’s what I had. Penne works great too!
How to Make this easy chicken noodle soup?
This soup won’t take much time at all. Prepare all your veggies before you start cooking because this soup moves really quickly.
Place a large pot over medium heat on the stove. I love to use my dutch oven. Once hot, add in the butter, and then the onion. Cook the onion until is starts to soften and turns slightly translucent. Add in the celery and carrots and continue to cook for about three minutes.
Now it’s time to add in the minced garlic and the spices. Stir that around until the garlic starts to smell really fragrant, about one minute. Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and now add in the cooked chicken.
Bring to a boil and then lower the temperature to med/low. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes and then add in the uncooked pasta. Cook for however long the pasta instructions say.
Serve this healthy soup recipe right away and enjoy!
Simple and Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1.5 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry pasta of choice
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the butter over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until softened and starting to go translucent.
- Add in the celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Now add in the minced garlic and all the spices and salt and pepper. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add in the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Now add in the cooked chicken. Cook for 5-10 minutes, and then add in the pasta and cook until the pasta is done. Check the pasta box to see how long it takes, as each brand will be different.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Leave a Reply