These are The Best Gluten Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and are such a classic. Baking gluten free doesn’t have to be difficult because a good all purpose blend of gluten free flour makes all the difference. In my cookies, I’ll use Bobs Red Mill or Wendells Gluten Free Flour blend because they give a great texture!
If you love cookies as much as I do, check out these White Chocolate Almond Cookies, and these Gluten Free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. These Chocolate Chunk S’more’s Cookies are amazing and you’ll be craving a camping trip afterwards! Because my daughter can’t eat gluten, I have included gluten free options for most of my recipes!
Can I make these chocolate chip cookies with wheat flour?
Because these chewy gluten free cookies are made with an all purpose blend of flours, you can make them using an all purpose wheat flour as well.
Can I make these Gluten Free Chocolate Cookies Vegan?
I have not tested these to be vegan, so I recommend finding a recipe that has been tested vegan because using gluten free flours without eggs can be tricky.
Ingredients needed for The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies!
- Salted Butter – Softened butter is needed for these chewy cookies.
- Brown Sugar – Light or dark brown sugar works great for this easy cookie recipe.
- White sugar – Any white granulated sugar will work for these cookies.
- Large egg – One large egg is used in this recipe.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract gives the best flavour to these chocolate chip cookies.
- GF flour – 1 3/4 cups of all purpose GF flour is needed. Bobs Red Mill gluten free flour blend is used here.
- Baking Soda and salt – Needed to help these cookies rise.
- Hot Water – Helps to keep these cookies chewy.
- Chocolate Chips – Use semi sweet, dark or milk chocolate chips.
How to make these easy gluten free chocolate chip cookies?
The Best Gluten Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies that come together fast! It’s helpful to have a stand mixer or hand mixer to mix the cookie batter. Make sure to have your butter softened before starting the cookies. To soften it quickly, cut it into 1″ chunks and put it in a warm spot for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375° and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
To make the best gluten free chocolate chips cookies, start by beating together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar and then add in the egg, and mix well. The mixture should be well mixed and a little bit fluffy. Pour in the vanilla and combine well.
Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt and then slowly add this mixture to the wet ingredients and mix well. Do this until all the flour and butter mixture is combined, and then slowly add in the tablespoon of hot water.
Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop out the cookie batter into uniform sized balls, about 1.5 tablespoons of dough. Place the dough about 1.5″ apart on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 9 minutes, and once removed from the oven, let cool for a minute before transferring them to a cooling rack.
It’s important to not over bake cookies because they will not be soft and chewy. 8-9 minutes is the perfect timing for these chocolate chips cookies!
The Best Gluten Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose Gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat together the softened butter, white sugar and brown sugar until well combined. Add in the egg, and mix well, then add in the vanilla.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly add this to the wet mixture and mix until all combined. Now add in the hot water. Once the batter is mixed, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the though out on the cookie sheet. I used a cookie scoop with about 1.5 tablespoons of dough. Place dough balls 2" apart on the cookie sheet. Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on baking sheet for two minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack.