This is one of those times that you read a recipe, and think WHAT? That’s because these beautiful gluten-free double chocolate cookies are made with chickpea flour. Yes, that’s correct! I couldn’t believe it either because they are some of the best cookies I have made recently, and my kids devoured them. Actually, we all did. My husband said they’re one of his favourites. The texture is amazing. Sometimes gluten-free baking can have a grainy texture depending on the flour used. Not with these cookies, they’re perfect!
I make most of our baking gluten-free because my daughter can’t eat gluten. I used chickpea flour in these to make them nutrient dense and soft and chewy. Plus, these cookies are nut free, which means they’re school approved! These cookie dough balls, banana bread, and carrot cake are just some of the gluten-free baking that gets my kids approval. I’m excited to add these gluten-free double chocolate cookies to my list of kid loving treats and I hope your family enjoys them as much as mine does!
I found these things helpful while making the recipe!
- I’ve used coconut sugar in my cookies, but any brown sugar will work. Make sure to cream the butter and sugar together for a couple of minutes, as this helps break down the sugar to make the perfect cookie.
- I think the cookies are best when fully cooked and cooled because if they’re undercooked you may taste the chickpea flour.
- Chickpea flour is usually found in the international food section of the grocery store. It can have multiple names like garbanzo bean flour, chana, gram, and besan flour to name a few.
- I used my Kitchenaid Stand Mixer to whip up this batter because the cookie dough is thick. An electric mixer of some sort is really helpful and saves your arm.
- I flattened the cookies a bit before baking.
Gluten-free Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups chickpea flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until well combined. About two minutes. Scraping down the sides as needed. Add the egg and vanilla in and continue to beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Then add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until it’s well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out the batter by heaping tablespoons. Roll in your hand and flatten slightly. Continue until all of the batter is used.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for five minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.