This Easy Chicken Stew with Biscuits is one of my favourite comfort foods. This simple chicken stew recipe is a winner on a cold day. Nothing beats a hot bowl of chicken stew when it’s pouring rain or snowing. I actually love this recipe almost any time of year, because there’s just something about it that is nourishing and comforting at the same time. This simple chicken and biscuits recipe is a little lighter than the traditional version, but tastes great! If you love a good stew recipe, you should check out my Simple Beef Stew Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots.
What is the secret to a flaky biscuit?
The key to getting a beautiful flaky biscuit is to make sure the butter and milk are super cold when you go to bake them. This is why in this recipe, I say to make the biscuits first and then pop them into the fridge until you’re ready to put them on top of the stew.
Can I make this Easy Chicken Stew with Biscuits Recipe Gluten Free?
I have not tried this simple chicken stew recipe gluten free. I have successfully used gluten free flour in the stew to thicken it, but I haven’t made the biscuits gluten free. If you follow a gluten free biscuit recipe, it could work! Here is one I found . I have not tested it though.
Ingredients used in this Simple Chicken and Biscuit Recipe!
For the biscuits!
- Flour – Use an all purpose flour here.
- Butter – The butter needs to be cold for this recipe. Use salted or unsalted butter.
- Milk – I used whole milk for this recipe.
- Baking Powder – A tablespoon of baking powder is needed for these biscuits.
- Garlic Powder – Adds a delicious flavour to the biscuits.
- Herbs – I added a teaspoon of dried oregano to the biscuits.
- Sea Salt – Brings out the flavour!
For the chicken stew!
- Chicken – 2 cups of cooked chicken chopped into chunks.
- Carrots – 1.5 cups of diced carrots are needed here.
- Celery – 1.5 cups of evenly chopped celery is used.
- Onion – 1.5 cups of diced onion is needed here.
- Garlic – 3 large cloves of garlic is used. Minced or pressed is fine.
- Oregano – 2 teaspoons of dried oregano is needed.
- Thyme – Fresh or dried thyme works great!
- Flour – 3 tablespoons of flour is used to thicken the stew.
- Chicken Stock – The base of the stew.
- Milk – Used to add a bit of creaminess to the stew. You can also use cream if you want it richer.
- Salt and Pepper – Adjust to your taste. Test before adding more!
How to make this simple chicken and biscuit recipe!
I like to start with making the biscuits for this easy chicken stew with biscuits. This way the biscuits can chill in the fridge while you make the rest of the stew. This results in a really flaky biscuit that tastes fantastic!
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, herbs, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. It doesn’t have to be perfect.Now stir in the milk until the dough looks shaggy. Knead the dough in the bowl until everything is combined and it all sticks together. Transfer to some parchment paper and roll the dough out to about 1″ thick. Cut up the biscuits using a pizza cutter or a knife and then transfer the biscuits to the fridge to cool again while you make the stew.
For the stew!
Preheat the oven to 425°.
Use a pot or pan that can go from stove top to oven. If you don’t have this option, use a large saucepan and then transfer to a baking dish.
In a large pot heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add in the carrots, celery, and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir often to avoid burning.
Now add in the garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Then add in the cooked chicken. Cook until the chicken is heated and then add in the flour and stir until everything in the pot is coated. Pour in the vegetable stock and the milk. Stir well and bring the stew to a low boil to thicken. Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken. If the stew looks too thick you can thin it with more stock. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
When the stew is ready, grab the herb biscuits out of the fridge and add them to the top of the stew carefully. Transfer the stew to the oven and bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
Can I use fresh chicken and not already cooked in this stew recipe?
Yes you can start with raw chicken. Start the stew by cooking 2 cups of chopped chicken, and then once the chicken is all cooked, add in the vegetables and continue on with the steps.
Easy Chicken Stew with Biscuits
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 6 tbsp cold butter
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1.5 cups diced carrot
- 1.5 cups diced celery
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2.5 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Then cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Pour in the milk and mix until the dough is shaggy. Knead the dough lightly until it's just combined. Flatten to 1" thickness on a piece or parchment paper and cut into 12-16 biscuits. Place the biscuits in the fridge until needed for the stew.
The Chicken Stew
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a medium Dutch Oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add in the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the garlic, herbs and salt and pepper. Cook for another 30 seconds, and then add in the chicken. Stir the chicken in and then add in the flour. Stir the chicken and veggies with the flour until it's all coated.
- Pour in the chicken stock and then the milk. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 5 minutes until it thickens. If the stew gets too thick you can thin with some more stock. Add more salt and pepper to taste!
- Take the biscuits out of the fridge and place them on top of the chicken and veggie stew. Transfer the stew to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. The edges of the biscuits should be browned.
- Remove the stew and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply