These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies are the perfect twist from your classic chocolate chip cookie. These soft cookies are loaded with lots and lots of chocolate chips and pecans. The brown butter adds another dimension of flavour that can’t be beat. I love to whip up a batch of cookies. Cookies are so welcoming and they are the perfect snack and dessert! For more delicious cookie recipes, check out these Chocolate Chunk S’more Cookies and these White Chocolate Almond Cookies.
What if I don’t like nuts?
If you don’t like nuts, these cookies can easily be made as just chocolate chip cookies. Switch it up and add in some butterscotch chips or more dark chocolate chips!
How do I brown the butter?
Browning butter brings a beautiful caramel flavour to butter. It changes the flavour slightly, and is super delicious. To brown butter, melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Simmer the butter until it reaches a medium brown colour. The butter will get foamy, that’s normal. Once it gets to a certain heat, the colour will change very quickly so keep an eye on it. Stir it often as well.
Can I make these brown butter cookies gluten free?
Yes, these brown butter chocolate chip pecan cookies can easily be made gluten free. Just swap out the flour for an all purpose gluten free flour. I like Bobs Red Mill flour because it isn’t gritty.
Ingredients needed for these Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies!
- Flour – All purpose flour is used in this cookie recipe. You can use gluten free all purpose flour if you need to.
- Butter – 3/4 cup browned butter is used in this recipe.
- Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar is used.
- Sugar – 1/2 cup of granulated sugar is needed.
- Eggs – One large egg is needed for this recipe.
- Baking Soda – Needed for the structure of the cookies.
- Salt – A bit of salt brings out the flavours.
- Vanilla – 2 teaspoons of vanilla adds so much flavour.
- Chocolate Chips – 1.5 cups of chocolate chips is needed.
- Pecans – 1 cup of chopped pecans are added to this cookie recipe.
How to make these Brown Butter Chocolate Pecan Cookies!
This brown butter chocolate chip pecan cookie recipe comes together much like your typical chocolate chip cookies. Start by preheating the oven to 375° and line two baking sheet with parchment paper.
Now it’s time to brown the butter. In a small saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat and simmer until the colour turns medium brown. Set it aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the brown butter and sugars together. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until the batter looks smooth. Now add in the flour, baking soda and salt. Beat the mixture until it’s just combined and then add in the chocolate chips and the pecans.
Scoop out about 1.5 tablespoons of cookie dough and make a ball. Keep doing that and space the cookies about 1-2″ apart. Using the palm of your hand, gently flatten each cookie slightly.
Bake for 8-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Once the cookies are completely cool, store in an air tight container.
Brown Butter Chocolate Pecan Cookies
- 3/4 cup browned butter
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Simmer until the colour changes to a medium brown colour. Set the butter aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until well combined. Add in the egg and the vanilla and mix until the batter looks nice and smooth.
- Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined and then add in the chocolate chips and pecans. Fold those in until both are evenly distributed through the batter.
- Scoop out the cookie batter into 1.5 tablespoon balls. Space them 1-2" apart on the baking sheet. Gently flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for 2 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Leave a Reply