This Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Garlic and Sage is a dinnertime dream. These little pillows of sweet potato are so incredibly delicious, and they’re easy to make!
The first time I thought about making gnocchi, I thought for sure it was going to be super difficult. I put it off for literally years until finally, I tried it. It was SO simple. If you’re on the fence about making gnocchi, you can do it! Once you make it once, it will become a regular in your home.
This Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Garlic and Sage is delicious as the main dish, and it also makes a great side dish. We like to pair it with a side salad. Everyone in my house eats this up quickly. They prefer if I sauté the gnocchi a little longer in the cast iron pan, that way it gets super crispy on the outside.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes
- Ricotta Cheese
- All purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make this delicious Gnocchi
- The first step to making the gnocchi is to peel and boil the potatoes. I cut the potatoes into cubes about 1×2″. Try to keep the potatoes around the same size.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water out, and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Mince the garlic, and chop the sage and set aside.
- Once the potatoes have cooled a bit, mash the sweet potatoes well, and then mix in the ricotta cheese.
- Add in the salt and pepper.
- Add in the four 1/4 cup at a time. The dough should hold together, but not be dry.
- Lightly flour your counter, and grab about a 1/2 cup of gnocchi dough and roll into a thin log.
- Cut the dough into 1.5″ chunks and set aside until you have rolled and cut all the gnocchi dough.
- Boil the gnocchi for 2-4 minutes, they will float when they are done.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the sage.
- When the gnocchi is done, add them to the frying pan and let them develop a crust before flipping them over. After flipping, add in the garlic and stir around.
- If you prefer your gnocchi soft on the outside, there is no need to fry them for long. Simply toss them in the melted garlic butter and sage.
- Sprinkle with salt, and serve immediately with a garnish of parmesan cheese!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Garlic and Sage
- 3 cups chopped sweet potato
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4-1 cup all purpose four GF works too!
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potatoes well, add in the ricotta cheese, pepper and salt.
- Stir in the flour 1/4 cup at a time. The dough should come together but not be dry. Mix until just combined.
- Take about a 1/2 cup of dough and roll into a log 1" thick. Cut the gnocchi into uniform sized pieces about 1.5" long. Continue until all the gnocchi is made.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook for 2-4 minutes. The gnocchi will float when they're done.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the sage. Add the gnocchi and don't flip until they get a crispy edge. Once the gnocchi is flipped, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Serve the gnocchi with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!