This Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Garlic and Sage is a dinnertime dream. These little pillows of sweet potato are so incredibly delicious, and they’re easy to make!
The first time I thought about making gnocchi, I thought for sure it was going to be super difficult. I put it off for literally years until finally, I tried it. It was SO simple. If you’re on the fence about making gnocchi, you can do it! Once you make it once, it will become a regular in your home.
This Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Garlic and Sage is delicious as the main dish, and it also makes a great side dish. We like to pair it with a side salad. Everyone in my house eats this up quickly. They prefer if I sauté the gnocchi a little longer in the cast iron pan, that way it gets super crispy on the outside.
For more delicious dinner recipes, try this Lemon Asparagus Penne, or this Smokey Mushroom Carbonara!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Ingredients
- Sweet Potatoes
- Ricotta Cheese
- All purpose flour or gluten-free all purpose flour
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make this delicious Gnocchi
- The first step to making the gnocchi is to peel and boil the potatoes. I cut the potatoes into cubes about 1×2″. Try to keep the potatoes around the same size.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water out, and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Mince the garlic, and chop the sage and set aside.
- Once the potatoes have cooled a bit, mash the sweet potatoes well, and then mix in the ricotta cheese.
- Add in the salt and pepper.
- Add in the four 1/4 cup at a time. The dough should hold together, but not be dry.
- Lightly flour your counter, and grab about a 1/2 cup of gnocchi dough and roll into a thin log.
- Cut the dough into 1.5″ chunks and set aside until you have rolled and cut all the gnocchi dough.
- Boil the gnocchi for 2-4 minutes, they will float when they are done.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the sage.
- When the gnocchi is done, add them to the frying pan and let them develop a crust before flipping them over. After flipping, add in the garlic and stir around.
- If you prefer your gnocchi soft on the outside, there is no need to fry them for long. Simply toss them in the melted garlic butter and sage.
- Sprinkle with salt, and serve immediately with a garnish of parmesan cheese!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Garlic and Sage
- 3 cups chopped sweet potato
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4-1 cup all purpose four GF works too!
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potatoes well, add in the ricotta cheese, pepper and salt.
- Stir in the flour 1/4 cup at a time. The dough should come together but not be dry. Mix until just combined.
- Take about a 1/2 cup of dough and roll into a log 1" thick. Cut the gnocchi into uniform sized pieces about 1.5" long. Continue until all the gnocchi is made.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook for 2-4 minutes. The gnocchi will float when they're done.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the sage. Add the gnocchi and don't flip until they get a crispy edge. Once the gnocchi is flipped, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Serve the gnocchi with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese!
Leave a Reply