This S’more Brownie Skillet need to be on your summer bucket list. There really isn’t anything better. The skillet is loaded with graham crackers, chocolate chunks, brownie batter and marshmallows! Walk, no RUN and make it because it’s the best thing to happen to summer! Serve it warm over a bowl of vanilla ice cream and you won’t be sorry!
Can I make this S’more Brownie Skillet Gluten Free?
Yes, this brownie skillet can be made gluten free. Use a gluten free all purpose flour like Bobs Red Mill, and also use gluten free graham crackers like these ones. Make sure the chocolate and other ingredients that you are using are also gluten free, because sometimes gluten is added.
Can these Skillet S’mores be made vegan?
I have not tested the recipe vegan. The items that would need to switched out are the butter, eggs, chocolate and marshmallows. I used Dandies marshmallows in this recipe and they worked great. I would try using flax eggs or an egg replacer. Use a vegan butter in place of the regular butter and dark chocolate!
Ingredients used in these S’mores!
Butter – This recipe calls for one cup of butter, and there is no need to soften it first because it needs to be melted for the recipe!
Sugar – Both brown and white sugar are used in this S’more Brownie Skillet.
Eggs – You will need four large eggs here.
Cocoa Powder – Dutch processed cocoa powder is my favourite to use, but it you don’t have access to that, regular cocoa powder will work great too!
Flour – Use an all purpose flour in this recipe, and if you are making them gluten free, use an all purpose gluten free flour such as Bobs Red Mill.
Baking Powder – Is the levening agent in these brownies. Make sure it is fresh otherwise it won’t activate properly. Generally, baking powder should be replaced every six months.
Salt – Brings out the flavour of the recipe.
Chocolate – A chocolate bar works best in this recipe to give big chunks, but chocolate chips work great too!
Marshmallows – 12 large marshmallows are used in this brownie recipe. I tore the marshmallows in half before adding them in to the batter. See below for how I have arranged the ingredients of this skillet. I used Dandies marshmallows.
Graham Crackers – Are needed to line the bottom of the pan as well as to stick in the top of this brownie skillet!
How to make this S’more Brownie Skillet
I’ll share the instructions here and then see below for a step by step guide to making the brownies!
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, melt the butter until it’s just melted. Pour the melted butter into a large bowl. Whisk in the sugars well. Now add in the cocoa powder and mix until well combined. Now it’s time to add in the eggs. Whisk them really well, the batter shouldn’t be comply at all.
Now add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until the batter is nice and silky smooth.
In the bottom of a 10×10 skillet or baking pan, layer the graham crackers. This doesn’t need to be perfect, break them apart if needed.
Next you want to take half the brownie batter and spread it out evenly over the graham crackers. Take the marshmallows and tear them in half. Place 16 halves through the batter. See picture below. Now break the chocolate into chunks and place the chocolate chunks around the marshmallows.
Spread out the remaining batter over the marshmallows and chocolate. Take the remaining marshmallows and press them into the top of the batter. Take graham crackers and break them apart, now press them in to the batter as well.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes. The brownie will be slightly soft in the middle. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Serve right away over vanilla ice cream or on its own!
Here is a step by step guide to making this brownie dish!
S’more Brownie Skillet
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or one large chocolate bar
- 12 marshmallows
- 7 graham crackers
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 10×10 cast iron skillet.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Transfer the butter to a large bowl and whisk in the sugars.
- Add the cocoa powder in mix well, now add in the eggs and whisk until the batter is silly smooth. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until everything is combined and there are no lumps.
- Line the bottom of the pan with graham grackers. They can be broken pieces, it doesn't need to be perfect!
- Spread half the batter over the graham crackers. Tear the marshmallows in half and plate 16 halfs all over the batter. Add in the chocolate chunks or chips.
- Take the rest of the batter and spread it over the marshmallows and chocolate. Top with the remaining marshmallows and take broken graham crackers and stick them in the batter so they are sticking out.
- Bake the skillet for 45-50 minutes. It will seem slightly undercooked. The brownie sets as it cools. But it's best served warm, especially over ice cream!