This Sweet and Simple creamy hot chocolate recipe is delicious. This hot chocolate recipe is a decadent dark chocolate. The pop of sweetness from the marshmallows is perfection! There is simply nothing better than a tasty hot cup of cocoa on a cold winters day. It’s a staple in our house, and I love to make it using ingredients I have on hand. It’s easy to customize your hot chocolate when you make it yourself. You can make is darker, sweeter or creamier, and make the perfect hot chocolate just for you!
Ingredients needed for easy homemade hot cocoa!
These simple kitchen staples make for the best and easiest hot chocolate. I love making my own cup of homemade hot chocolate because then I know what’s in it. I also prefer things not too sweet, so I love to have complete control over it!
Here’s what you need to make a tasty cup of hot chocolate!
- Milk – This can be dairy free milk or regular milk. I love using coconut milk because it goes so well with chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder – I like to use dutch processed cocoa powder as it’s less bitter than the regular.
- Vanilla Extract- Vanilla adds such a lovely pop of flavour!
- Sugar – You can use any sugar you like. White sugar works for a simple taste, brown sugar adds a deep flavour, and maple syrup adds a maple flavour. I often use maple syrup because I like the flavour combo.
- Chocolate Chips – This is optional, but always a good idea. Whisking in a couple of tablespoons of chocolate chips adds a beautiful texture and deeper flavour to the hot chocolate.
- Marshmallows – Big or mini, it’s up to you! We love Dandies Marshmallows.
How to make this sweet and simple creamy hot chocolate?
All you need is a pot and some tasty ingredients that almost everyone has. Of course you can spice it up if you like, but here is a basic and tasty hot chocolate recipe that will warm you up!
Here’s a little tip for you, I like to measure out my milk by pouring into my mug first. I’ll give you exact measurements here, but if you want a full cup, measure the milk first, and then adjust the cocoa powder and sugar as needed.
In a small pot over medium heat, whisk together the cocoa powder and milk. Once the milk mixture starts to heat up, add in the vanilla and maple syrup (or sugar if you like). Keep stirring the hot chocolate so it doesn’t burn. Once the hot chocolate has reached your desired temperature, carefully pour it into your mug and top with marshmallows!
Sweet and Simple Creamy Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips optional
- marshmallows optional
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and cocoa powder over medium heat. Once the milk mixture starts to get hot, add in the sugar, and vanilla. Add in the chocolate chips and whisk until they're all melted. Pour into two mugs and top with your favourite marshmallows.