This is the best double chocolate banana bread, and it was made in my kitchen after an accidental order of many, many bananas. Because I had already baked two regular loaves of banana bread that week, I had to switch it up, and it turned out amazing! Did I also mention that I ordered triple the amount of chocolate chips that I needed? Clearly my online grocery ordering needs some work.
This gluten free double chocolate banana bread is soft and has such a great texture. The chocolate is decadent and is the perfect addition to a hot cup of tea or coffee. My daughter goes for it every time she’s in the kitchen. There isn’t a ton of sugar in this loaf, so I used milk chocolate chips. It’s the perfect balance of chocolate and banana.
If you’re like me and buy an incredible amount of bananas, make sure to check out these Gluten Free Banana Pecan Breakfast Muffin that I made as well. Both of these recipes freeze well.
- I checked on this loaf at 50 minutes. Insert a skewer or knife in, and it should come out mostly clean. A little bit of crumbly bits is fine.
- I used avocado oil in this banana loaf, but olive oil would work well too.
- This loaf freezes well. So if your house isn’t like my house, and you have some left over, pop it into the freezer for another day!
- If you don’t have yogurt in the house, sour cream will work too. Vegan yogurt works as well!
Ingredients needed for this healthy chocolate banana bread!
This simple banana bread recipe requires all the basics plus the addition of almond flour. Read below to see what is needed for this amazing double chocolate banana bread!
- Bananas – Make sure they are super ripe for the best banana bread ever! You’ll need three medium bananas for this recipe.
- Oil – You can use olive or avocado oil here!
- Brown Sugar – I often use coconut sugar in this recipe. Both brown and coconut sugar work great!
- Eggs – 2 large eggs are used in this banana bread recipe.
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup of yogurt is needed here. You can use plain, or vanilla. If you don’t have yogurt, substitute with sour cream.
- Cocoa Powder – I love using dutch processed cocoa powder. Use whatever you have though. Cocao even works too!
- Gluten Free Flour – I like to use Bobs Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour.
- Almond Flour – This adds a fabulous texture to the muffins!
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract adds the perfect touch of flavour!
- Baking Soda – Used to give this banana bread its rise.
- Salt – Pure sea salt is added to this batter.
- Chocolate Chips or chunks- You can use semi sweet or milk chocolate. Both are incredibly tasty!
How to make the best double chocolate banana bread?
This recipe can easily be made in one bowl, and who doesn’t love a one bowl recipe? I use my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for mine, but a bowl and a whisk will work fine too!
Start the recipe by preheating the oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Mash the bananas in a large bowl and make sure there aren’t any lumps left.
Now add in the sugar and the oil and mix until it is all well combined, and then add in the two large eggs and whisk well.
Pour in the yogurt and vanilla and make sure all of the wet ingredients are mixed well.
Now add in the almond flour, gluten free flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Mix the batter until there are no lumps left. The batter should be a really dark brown colour. It will look slightly grainy from the almond flour and that’s okay! Now add in your chocolate chips of your choice!
Pour the banana bread batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and brown sugar on top! This takes it to a whole new level!
Bake in the oven for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the banana bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
The Best Gluten Free Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana really well. Add in the oil and sugar and mix well. Now add in the eggs, and mix until well combined. Add the yogurt and vanilla and mix.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, almond flour, salt and baking soda to the wet ingredients. Mix until there are no clumps. Add in the chocolate chips and mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Top with a few chocolate chips and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife comes out mostly clean.
- Let the banana bread cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Leave a Reply