This is The Best Crispy Tofu with Honey Ginger Sauce. I wasn’t a tofu lover until I made it this way. The thing with tofu is that it needs to be cooked properly, and I wasn’t doing that. But this, this tasty and crispy tofu is a game changer. Even my toughest critic enjoyed it this way! I paired this crispy honey ginger tofu with some toasted cashews, sautéed broccoli and cabbage, and rice. It’s a complete and delicious plant based meal!
For more tasty meal ideas, check out these Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Avocado Crema , and this Easy Pasta Puttanesca with Beef.
Follow Tastes of Thyme on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest!
Can I make this Crispy Tofu Vegan?
Yes, if you’re looking for a way to make this dish completely vegan, swap out the honey for maple syrup. It’s also really delicious!
What other vegetables go with the best crispy tofu with honey ginger sauce?
There are so many options for vegetables depending on your personal tastes. Peppers, mushrooms, onions, shredded carrots, cauliflower are just some of the tasty veggies we like to use!
Is this Tofu bowl recipe gluten free?
Yes, this Crispy Tofu bowl is gluten free. In the sauce I have used Tamari, which is a gluten free soya sauce because my daughter cannot consume gluten. Make sure that the tofu is also gluten free, but most are.
Ingredients needed for this Crispy Tofu Recipe.
- Tofu – Extra firm tofu is needed for this recipe to keep it’s shape because soft tofu will crumble.
- Tamari – Is a gluten free soya sauce that we love. Use any kind that you have though.
- Honey – Used to sweeten the sauce.
- Ground Ginger – Iv’e used ground ginger in the sauce because I always have it on hand. Fresh ginger will work too.
- Olive Oil – Use to cook the tofu in and give it the crispy edges.
- Rice – Any type of rice will work for this recipe. You could use quinoa or ramen noodles as well.
- Vegetables – Iv’e used broccoli and red cabbage in this recipe.
- Cashews – They add a tasty crunch. Skip these for a nut free version and try sunflower or pumpkin seeds instead.
- Siracha – This is optional, but incredibly tasty if you like a bit of heat. Use as a garnish.
How to cook Crispy Tofu with Honey Ginger Sauce?
Cook your rice according to the directions.
There are a couple of important tips when it comes to cooking crispy tofu.
Start by cutting the tofu into slices about 1/2″ thick. You should have 4-5 slices. Lay it out on a clean kitchen towel and layer another clean towel on top. Now stack something heavy on it. I used a stone board, but books will work too. You want to press out the liquid from the tofu to help it get nice and crispy. Do this while you prepare the sauce and your veggies. This is very important, do not skip this step.
Next, whisk together the tamari, honey, and ginger. Set this aside. Now cut up your veggies. If using cabbage, cut it thinly in ribbons. Cut up your broccoli in small bite sized pieces.
Time to cook the tofu!
Cut the tofu into uniform cubes and get ready to fry it up.
In a large cast iron pan, dry toast the cashews until they become fragrant. Do this by heating up the pan on medium heat, and tossing the cashews around. Don’t leave unattended as they burn quickly. Remove from the pan and follow the steps below.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu. Let the tofu cook until it’s brown and crispy. It should release from the pan easily once this happens. Flip onto the other side. I like to make it crispy on two sides. Once the the tofu is crispy to your liking, add in two tablespoons of the sauce. This will sizzle quickly, so toss the tofu until it’s really well coated and the sauce will evaporate and become sticky. If the pan is too hot, lower the heat.
Transfer the tofu to a plate, and add the vegetables to the pan. Add in a couple of tablespoons of water and using tongs, toss the veggies around until just cooked. This takes only a couple of minutes.
Now it’s time to assemble your bowl. Layer your rice, veggies, tofu and cashews. Pour on the extra sauce and serve! Drizzle with some sriracha and enjoy!
The Best Crispy Tofu with Honey Ginger Sauce
- 1 block extra firm tofu (270g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 4 cups cooked rice for serving
Honey Ginger Sauce
- 2/3 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 tsp powdered ginger
- Cook the rice according to the directions.
- Drain the tofu, and then slice it into 5 strips about .5" thick. Lay on a clean kitchen towel and cover with another kitchen towel. Put something heavy on top. Leave the tofu while you prepare everything else. This will absorb all the extra water from the tofu and is important to get crispy tofu.
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, toast the cashews over medium heat until lightly toasted and smelling fragrant. Set them aside.
- Add the oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the tofu and cook each side until it's light brown and crispy. You can brown just two sides or all the sides. I usually do 2.
- Once the tofu is crispy to your liking, add in 2 tablespoons of the sauce and stir quickly. The sauce will thicken fast. Toss the tofu gently to coat it completely. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Add the veggies to the pan with a splash of water. Sautee the veggies until gently cooked. Don't overcook because we don't want soggy vegetables. Once the veggies are done, it's time to make your bowl.
- Add the rice, veggies and tofu to a bowl, pour on as much sauce as you like and sprinkle the cashews on. Mix and enjoy!
Leave a Reply