This 30 minute chicken and gnocchi soup recipe is easy and absolutely delicious. When the weather is cold outside, and you’re hungry, the last thing you want is for a meal to take too long. This simple chicken and gnocchi soup recipe can be made super quickly. The best part? If you forget to take the chicken out of the freezer, you can even cook it with the chicken still frozen. It really doesn’t get much easier than that!
Ingredients needed for this easy chicken gnocchi soup!
This soup comes together quickly with a few staple ingredients.
- Chicken – You can use either thighs or breast meat. I prefer thigh because it stays more tender.
- Onion – A medium yellow onion gives this soup amazing flavours.
- Carrots – I used 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped.
- Celery – I love celery in my soups. Clean it well because it likes to hold onto dirt.
- Chicken Stock – Use the best quality you can find. You’ll need 5-6 cups.
- Herbs – I used rosemary and oregano in my soup. Thyme would work well too!
- Garlic – I used 3 cloves of fresh garlic here. If you don’t have fresh, use 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Gnocchi – Top save time, I used packaged gnocchi. It cooks up quickly! I used one package for this soup recipe.
- Heavy Cream – 1/2 cup of heavy cream added at the end brings a beautiful silky consistency to this 30 minute easy chicken and gnocchi soup recipe.
- Parmesan rind – Save those Parmesan rinds. They add so much flavour! I simmered this soup with one rind. If you don’t have a rind, add in 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese at the end.
- Olive oil – Used to cook the vegetables in. Just a drizzle is needed.
Can I make this chicken soup gluten free?
This simple chicken soup recipe can easily be made gluten free. Use a package of gluten free gnocchi, and make sure that your chicken stock doesn’t contain any gluten. The rest of the ingredients are naturally gluten free.
Helpful tips for making chicken gnocchi soup!
If your chicken is still frozen, thats fine. Add it in to the soup and cook for a little longer.
If you don’t have a parmesan rind, thats okay too. Add in 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese!
You can use fresh or dried herbs for this simple chicken gnocchi soup. If using fresh, a tablespoon of each is perfect. If using dried herbs, 1 teaspoon of each works great!
How to make this Easy Chicken Soup Recipe?
This recipe comes together quickly. It’s best to prepare all ingredients prior to cooking.
In a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat a tbsp of olive oil, and then add in the onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add in the garlic and herbs. Cook until just fragrant.
Now add in the chicken, the parmesan rind and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, and turn the heat to medium low. Cook with the lid on for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken and shred it using two forks, and then add the chicken back into the soup. Add the gnocchi into the soup and cook until the gnocchi starts to float. Remove the parmesan rind and add in the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste! Serve this delicious soup with some crusty bread to dip in it. The soup is delicious all on it’s own, but I always love to dip bread in my soup.
How to store this 30 minute easy chicken and gnocchi soup?
This soup can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When reheating, you may need to add in a splash of water. Since there is cream in this chicken gnocchi soup, it won’t freeze well.
30 Minute Easy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Recipe
- 1 large pot or dutch oven
- 4 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 parmesan rind or 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 package gnocchi
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and the herbs and cook until just fragrant.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock and the parmesan rind to the pot. Bring to a low boil, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, our until the chicken is cooked all the way.
- Using tongs, pull the chicken out of the pot and shred using two forks. Add the chicken back Into the pot and bring the soup back to a low boil. Add the gnocchi in and cook. Once the gnocchi is floating, take out the parmesan rind and pour in the heavy cream.
- Stir the soup to combine and then add salt and pepper to taste. Serve this soup with some freshly grated parmesan and fresh pepper. Crusty bread for dipping is delicious too!