This is The Best Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting. This carrot cake recipe is simple and absolutely perfect. I’m a huge fan of carrot cake, and don’t like a whole lot of extras in it. I kept this recipe classic and so delicious. It’s got a bit of a twist with the maple cream cheese frosting!
If you love simple cake recipes, check out this Citrus Olive Oil Loaf Cake, This Gluten Free Cinnamon Coffee Cake, and This Simple Banana Snack Cake.
Can I make this Easy Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting Gluten Free?
Yes, you can easily make this easy and simple carrot cake gluten free. Swap out the all purpose flour for an all purpose gluten free flour blend such as Bobs Red Mill. It’s one of my favourite flours to use because it works so well in cakes and cupcakes!
Can this easy Carrot Cake Recipe be made dairy free?
Yes, this carrot cake can be made dairy free. In the cake recipe, swap out the dairy yogurt for a coconut yogurt. For the icing, you can swap the cream cheese for a vegan version, or replace it with vegan butter. Swap out the butter for a vegan butter as well.
Ingredients used in this healthy carrot cake recipe!
- All Purpose Flour – This gives the cake it’s soft texture.
- Almond Flour – The almond flour adds a beautiful crumb to the cake.
- Brown Sugar – Gives the cakes its sweetness and a lovely flavour.
- Yogurt – Gives moisture to the cake.
- Olive Oil – Only 2 tablespoons are needed for this recipe.
- Carrots – Two cups of finely grated carrots are needed.
- Eggs – Two large eggs are used in this carrot cake recipe.
- Vanilla – Adds a lovely flavour to this cake recipe.
- Spices – A combination of spices are used in this cake. I add cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to give it the flavours it has.
- Salt – I like to use sea salt in my recipes.
- Baking Soda – Helps the cake rise. 2 Teaspoons are needed for this cake recipe.
For the Maple Cream Cheese Frosting!
- Cream Cheese – 4oz of softened cream cheese is needed.
- Butter – 1/4 cup of salted butter adds to the flavour.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract is needed.
- Maple Syrup – Pure maple syrup gives the frosting its flavour!
- Powdered Sugar – Two cups is needed for this recipe.
How to make The Best Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting!
This carrot cake is easy to make and tastes amazing. There is no need to get all the moisture out fo the carrots because it adds moisture to the cake.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 ° and line a 8″ cake pan with parchment paper.
Grate your carrots with the fine side of the cheese grater. This allows for the carrots to cook better and means your cake won’t have chunks in it.
In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and eggs. Add in the yogurt and vanilla and mix really well.
In a separate bowl, mix together the all purpose flour, almond flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.
Mix together the wet and dry ingredients and the fold in the carrots. Mix until it is well combined, so the carrots are distributed evenly. This makes for a much tastier and fluffier cake!
Spread the cake into the cake pan. This cake batter is nice and thick, so spread it out evenly.
Bake the carrot cake for 22-27 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it rest in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting the cake.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting!
This frosting is absolutely delicious and it will become a new favourite because it is perfectly sweet!
With a stand mixer, or a hand held mixer, mix together the softened cream cheese and butter until it is well combined, and then add in the vanilla and maple syrup.
Slowly add the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Once all the icing sugar has been added, whip the frosting for another minute on high speed. This allows for the frosting to be soft, fluffy and easily spread on the cake.
The Best Carrot Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrot finely grated
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line an 8" cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the oil and brown sugar, then add in the eggs, vanilla and yogurt and mix well.
- Add in the all purpose flour, almond flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Mix the cake until just combined.
- Fold in the grated carrot until it's mixed well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake the cake for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once the cake is done, let it rest for 15 minutes and then transfer it to a wire rack to cool all the way before frosting it.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixture, beat the cream cheese, butter until well combined and then add the maple syrup and vanilla and mix. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and whip until it's nice and fluffy.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, you can frost it.
Leave a Reply