Everyone needs an easy soup recipe for spring, and that recipe is this Simple Potato Leek Soup! You can eat it by itself or pair it with a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. If you really want to kick that flavour combo up, try this Avocado Boursin Grilled Cheese with the soup, you won’t regret it.
Soup it one of those really easy ways to pack in the vegetables. It’s easy to switch up the herbs and bring new flavour combinations to life. This Simple Potato Leek Soup isn’t complicated at all, and only requires a small list of ingredients. Most of which you probably already have in the pantry.
For more soup ideas, check out this Smoked Cheddar Broccoli Soup, or this Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup!
Ingredients for this Simple Soup!
- Potatoes – Scrub them well and leave the skin on for extra nutrients. I used Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe. You’ll need three medium potatoes.
- Leeks – These are known to be quite dirty, so make sure to rinse them well with water. Cut off the dark green portion of the leek because this isn’t used. Only the light green portion is good for cooking.
- Olive Oil – one tablespoon is used to cook the leeks in. Butter or another oil will work fine for this.
- Garlic – There are three cloves of garlic in this soup.
- Bay leafs – These add a delicious flavour. Make sure to remove them from the soup before blending it.
- Chicken stock – 6 cups of stock are needed here. To keep it vegan, use vegetable stock. You may need to add more salt to the soup at the end. I find chicken stock to have a bit more flavour than vegetable stock.
- Salt – Adjust as needed depending on how salty your stock is. I used a half teaspoon in my batch.
How to make this Simple Potato Leek Soup!
- Prepare all of the ingredients before you start cooking because this soup moves fast. Wash and chop the potatoes and leeks, mince the garlic, and measure out your stock.
- Preheat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Drizzle the olive oil in and let it heat up.
- Cook the leeks over medium heat until they start to soften and then add in the potatoes. Cook the potatoes for 4 minutes, and add in the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add in the bay leafs and cover the soup and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are fork tender, let the soup cool for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leafs, and transfer the soup to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer back to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste!
- For a flavour pop, grate some parmesan cheese on top right before serving!
Simple Potato Leek Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups diced leeks
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
- 2 bay leafs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and then the leeks. Cook for 5 minutes or until they are soft. Add in the potatoes and continue to cook for another three minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. 30-60 seconds. Pour in the chicken stock and scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the bay leafs. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender. 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, let the soup cool for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leafs and transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away!
If you don’t have chicken stock, use vegetable stock. Make sure to wash the leeks and potatoes well before cooking. They both can be quite dirty.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply